You've Got To See This!
Need insurance for a divorce? Some say 'I Do'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Most people don't think of divorce as they walk down the aisle. But these days, not every marriage vow lasts "until death do us part," so a businessman is offering a service unlike any other.
A self-described serial entrepreneur, John Logan's WedLock offers divorce insurance policies.
Pay a monthly premium, have that policy at least three years, and if you divorce, you cash in.
"I got divorced several years ago and it was world class ugly," Logan said.
Dr. Derek Ball has heard it all in his years as a marriage and family counselor, so he wasn't all that surprised by WedLock.
"Anybody who tells you that they have a perfect relationship is probably lying to you," Ball said. "What you can have is a relationship that works."
Ball is not a fan of the insurance or the statistics and surveys on the WedLock website. He thinks it preys on marital fears and that counseling sessions are a better investment.
Logan begs to differ.
"People can say that all they want but the truth is the odds of divorce are higher than most of the other things we commonly insure ourselves against," Logan said.
Logan said his investment is beginning to show promise. In its first month, he's already sold a handful of policies.
Depending on how much coverage is bought, a WedLock divorce insurance policy will pay cash benefits ranging from $1,250 to $1.25 million for a marriage that ends in divorce. Some policies go for as little as $16 per month
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
legal, divorce, you've got to see this!, ellen leyva
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate