You've Got To See This!
Video captures woman going after suspected beer thieves at Wal-Mart
HOUSTON (KABC) -- A shopper took matters into her own hands when some thieves tried to steal beer from a Wal-Mart. While others looked on, she literally jumped into action.
Three men walked into the store in Houston, Texas, opened a cooler and helped themselves to three cases of beer.
When shopper Monique Lawless, who was in the checkout line, saw them walking out of the store without paying, she just wasn't going to stand for it.
"I told the cashier, 'Do something, they're leaving.' And she couldn't do anything, so I just told her, 'Watch my purse,'" said Lawless.
As the men headed toward their car parked in a fire lane, store surveillance video shows a very determined woman going out the door and sprinting after them.
As the suspects got into the car, Lawless took a running leap, landed on the hood and then stomped on the windshield.
"Then he started the car, and I knew I needed to get off because he didn't care and they were laughing at me the whole time in the car," said Lawless.
Monique slid off the car, but made one more attempt to stop the crooks. She grabbed the handle to pull the driver's door open, but the speeding car slammed her to the pavement.
"I hit my face and I don't think my nose is broken, but it swelled up really big," Lawless said.
The Chevy Camaro was soon spotted by police and a pursuit began. State troopers eventually caught them. As one suspect tried to escape on foot, a squad car pinned him up against a fence.
The suspected beer thieves, who are all brothers, were taken into custody.
Though Lawless got a little banged up, she said she's fed up with people looking the other way and doing nothing when they see something wrong.
"I'm tired of it," she said. "Our society needs to stand up and say, 'This is not right. We are not going to put up with it. You will be punished.'"
caught on tape, arrest, you've got to see this!, amy powell
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 58 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Inmate escapes jail a day after sentencing 9 min ago
- Ex-assemblyman arrested for domestic violence 24 min ago
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says