Diana Nyad ends another Cuba-Florida swim attempt
MIAMI (KABC) -- Diana Nyad has given up her attempt to swim from Cuba to Florida due to painful Portuguese Man O' War stings.
Her doctors warned that another sting could be life-threatening.
The 62-year-old had been in the water for more than 30 hours and was hoping reach Florida Monday morning.
Nyad tried this marathon swim in August, but she had to quit after a serious asthma attack made it difficult to breathe.
Swimming from Cuba to Florida is a lifelong dream that Nyad first tried as a 28-year-old back in 1978, when she swam inside a steel shark cage for about 42 hours before ending the attempt.
This time she was trying to do it without a cage, relying on electronic equipment to deter sharks.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 45 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
29 min ago