YouTube: Kayaker rides alongside blue whale in Redondo Beach
REDONDO BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A kayaker got up close and personal with a blue whale just a few miles off the Southern California coast in Redondo Beach.
The breathtaking encounter was posted on YouTube.
Sightings of the blue whale off our coast used to be rare, but we've seen more blue whales over the past five years.
It's not clear whether that's because there are more blue whales, or because their migration pattern has changed.
beach, animal news, bizarre news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke