Venezuela tattoo expo showcases 'Vampire Woman'
CARACAS, Venezuela (KABC) -- It was body art taken to a whole new level. Hundreds of artists and aficionados were in Venezuela for a big expo.
Special guests included Mexico's "Vampire Woman"- 98 percent of her body is covered in tattoos. She also has prosthetic fangs and platinum implants in her forehead.
"The 'Vampire Woman' was not something I thought of, it was a name that one of Mexico's major television stations baptized me with," said Maria Jose Cristerna. "It doesn't necessarily bother me because it has helped me transcend to a new level. Yes, I do like vampires but they are only a dream, a fantasy."
In previous interviews, the 35-year-old has said she altered her image as a form of self-expression after being the victim of domestic violence in a former marriage.
Folks from all over the globe were at the expo to show off their work, purchase body jewelry or even get life-long souvenirs.
ABC News contributed to this story.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)