Longest-married US couple reaches 78 years
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Imagine being married for 78 years. One Las Vegas couple reached that milestone, making them the longest-married couple in the U.S.
Wilbur Faiss and his wife Theresa were married April 14, 1933. Their oldest son entered them into a contest at the Worldwide Marriage Encounter.
"I just had no idea of us ever winning the oldest, the longest-married couple," said Faiss.
President Barack Obama even planned to recognize the couple during his recent visit to Las Vegas.
"How often does an ordinary guy get such recognition by the President of the United States?" said Faiss. "It's one of these things that are once in a lifetime."
However the couple arrived too late to meet Obama and the president dropped the remark from his speech. But the White House promised to return to give the couple the recognition they deserve.
As for wedding bliss, the 100-year-old gave his secret for their happy, long-lasting marriage.
"It's very simple; it's give and take, and compromise," he said.
Faiss says his wife is still his best friend.
CNN contributed to this story.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months