Longest-married US couple reaches 78 years
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Imagine being married for 78 years. One Las Vegas couple reached that milestone, making them the longest-married couple in the U.S.
Wilbur Faiss and his wife Theresa were married April 14, 1933. Their oldest son entered them into a contest at the Worldwide Marriage Encounter.
"I just had no idea of us ever winning the oldest, the longest-married couple," said Faiss.
President Barack Obama even planned to recognize the couple during his recent visit to Las Vegas.
"How often does an ordinary guy get such recognition by the President of the United States?" said Faiss. "It's one of these things that are once in a lifetime."
However the couple arrived too late to meet Obama and the president dropped the remark from his speech. But the White House promised to return to give the couple the recognition they deserve.
As for wedding bliss, the 100-year-old gave his secret for their happy, long-lasting marriage.
"It's very simple; it's give and take, and compromise," he said.
Faiss says his wife is still his best friend.
CNN contributed to this story.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour