Longest-married US couple reaches 78 years
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Imagine being married for 78 years. One Las Vegas couple reached that milestone, making them the longest-married couple in the U.S.
Wilbur Faiss and his wife Theresa were married April 14, 1933. Their oldest son entered them into a contest at the Worldwide Marriage Encounter.
"I just had no idea of us ever winning the oldest, the longest-married couple," said Faiss.
President Barack Obama even planned to recognize the couple during his recent visit to Las Vegas.
"How often does an ordinary guy get such recognition by the President of the United States?" said Faiss. "It's one of these things that are once in a lifetime."
However the couple arrived too late to meet Obama and the president dropped the remark from his speech. But the White House promised to return to give the couple the recognition they deserve.
As for wedding bliss, the 100-year-old gave his secret for their happy, long-lasting marriage.
"It's very simple; it's give and take, and compromise," he said.
Faiss says his wife is still his best friend.
CNN contributed to this story.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)