Longest-married US couple reaches 78 years
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Imagine being married for 78 years. One Las Vegas couple reached that milestone, making them the longest-married couple in the U.S.
Wilbur Faiss and his wife Theresa were married April 14, 1933. Their oldest son entered them into a contest at the Worldwide Marriage Encounter.
"I just had no idea of us ever winning the oldest, the longest-married couple," said Faiss.
President Barack Obama even planned to recognize the couple during his recent visit to Las Vegas.
"How often does an ordinary guy get such recognition by the President of the United States?" said Faiss. "It's one of these things that are once in a lifetime."
However the couple arrived too late to meet Obama and the president dropped the remark from his speech. But the White House promised to return to give the couple the recognition they deserve.
As for wedding bliss, the 100-year-old gave his secret for their happy, long-lasting marriage.
"It's very simple; it's give and take, and compromise," he said.
Faiss says his wife is still his best friend.
CNN contributed to this story.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight 23 min ago
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list