Mama bear, cubs perch in Altadena tree
ALTADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A mama bear and her two cubs perched themselves in an Altadena tree Thursday, and a crowd of people came out to watch.
The three bears were reported at about 8 a.m. on the 1400 block of Edgecliff Lane, according to the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. State Fish and Game Dept. officials were called to the scene to assess the danger to the public.
A crowd formed near the tree to observe the bears.
A Fish and Game Dept. spokesman said they would likely leave the bears alone in the tree, and that they would probably remain in the tree until after dark when the neighborhood is quieter. The bears will probably come down on their own then, according to the spokesman.
"The most important thing people can do is stay away," said spokesman Andrew Hughan. "All it's doing is scaring them."
Shortly after 2 p.m., the bears climbed down the tree next to a house and wandered through two back yards. The bears then climbed another tree.
Fish and Game officials say it appears the bears woke up recently from winter hibernation.
"We had a warm spell I believe about a week ago, so that really brought them up," said Fish and Game Warden J.C. Healy. "They're starting to move down. They're looking for water, they're hungry."
Bear sightings are not uncommon in the Altadena area so close to Angeles National Forest.
"It's right above a ravine or a canyon, and that canyon will go south and basically hook up to another canyon, which hooks up to the larger canyon, which will take her back up north, which is what we want," said Healy. "So this is actually working out quite well for us and for mama bear and the two cubs."
Tranquilizing the bears was decided against because they don't like introducing drugs to a bear that's nursing.
The bears climbed down from their tree about 6 p.m. and made their way into a stand of trees.
animal news, bizarre news
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 7 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 5 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 3 min ago
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
19 min ago