Supermoon 2012 to make Saturday night appearance in US skies
GRIFFITH PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Plenty of people will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo Saturday night, but those visiting the Griffith Observatory will be part of a celebration that is out of this world.
The park will be open during the best time to see this year's supermoon, between 8:35 p.m. PT. It's called the supermoon because it's closer to the earth than at any other time all year.
"If you look at it near the horizon, you'll also get that affect when things on the horizon look bigger, so the moon will look super big then, and it should be a neat view," said Dr. David Reitzel of the Griffith Park Observatory.
He says the moon will be 221,000 miles from the U.S., about 7,000 miles closer than an average full moon.
"It'll be about 7 percent bigger and about 15 to 16 percent brighter than your average full moon," he said.
He also says telescopes are not the best way to view it. Rather, all you need is the naked eye.
"Full moons are a little too bright, you don't need to magnify them, you don't need to gather all that extra light," he said.
Plenty of people can't wait to see it.
"You want to see as many of these once a year things as possible for as many years as you have left, right?" said Richard Somers of Pacific Palisades.
But what about the superstitions surrounding full moons? Jeremy Zorek, 10, says chill out.
"No one should be worried because it's not like it's an asteroid coming, it's not like the moon's gonna all of a sudden into crash into Earth. I just think it looks cooler because its bigger," he said.
The good news is the forecast is mostly clear skies over most of Southern California, so all should have a great view of the super moon.
griffith park, unbelievable, bizarre news, elex michaelson
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide 2 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge 19 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed 13 min ago
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers 51 min ago
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die 49 min ago
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker