Custody battle for dog leaves New York City man bankrupt
SAN PEDRO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A New York City man is taking his ex-girlfriend to court for taking his beloved dog cross-country to California.
For Craig Dershowitz, it's more than just puppy love. It's a love worth fighting for.
"'Knux' is my puppy," Dershowitz says."In a lot of ways, he's like my son. He's absolutely the cutest dog in the entire universe.
When Dershowitz and then-girlfriend Sara Brega split up, he says Brega dognapped his pup, "Knuckles," and took him with her to California.
Dershowitz says legal expenses have left him bankrupt and he's gone online to raise money. He says he's $60,000 in the red.
Brega says Knuckles is hers, and calls her ex-boyfriend "misguided." She says the custody battle is revenge on her.
"He's just really fixated on this whole thing, he doesn't get the dog is mine, too," she said.
"All I want is my dog back, he's mine," Dershowitz says. "He really is my son."
Brega contends that the pair split expenses for Knuckles.
The legal fight continues Wednesday in a San Pedro courthouse, where the next status conference will be held.
animal news, legal, bizarre news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Malaysian official: Missing jet hijacked 1 min ago
- Westbound 134 Fwy closed due to police activity 24 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
25 min ago
- Callie's Cause: Paddle, run to fight epilepsy
46 min ago