80-year-old woman's skydiving jump goes wrong
LODI, Calif. (KABC) -- An elderly woman wanted to do something exciting for her 80th birthday. Jumping out of a plane sounded like a good idea, only it went terribly wrong.
When Laverne Everette jumped out of the plane, it appeared everything was OK. But as she began spinning in the air, she fell out of her harness and was left dangling hundreds of feet in the air.
Her instructor tried to grab her feet and pull her up. Everette said she held on for dear life.
Fortunately, the two landed safely and no one was hurt. The Federal Aviation Administration launched an investigation. It said either Everette was not harnessed properly or the struggle with her instructor loosened the harness.
- Memorial Day: More travelers hitting the road 55 min ago
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Deputies shoot, killed armed man in Compton 33 min ago
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
46 min ago