Waiter gets $5,000 tip from regular customers in Houston
HOUSTON (KABC) -- A waiter in Houston had a pretty good Memorial Day weekend thanks to a $5,000 tip.
Greg Rubar has been working at D'Amico's Italian Market Cafe for 16 years. On Saturday two of his regulars, a husband and wife came in. They knew he'd lost his car due to flooding in a severe storm a few weeks ago and had been scrambling to get to and from work.
After finishing their lunch, they handed him an envelope with $5,000 cash inside.
"We're still going to come in, but we're not going to tip you for a while,'" said Rubar. "He said, 'This is for you.' He said, 'This is enough money for you to go and buy a nice car.' People can be generous. They told me they felt like I deserved it. It's overwhelming to me."
Rubar said he will use it to buy a new car.
The couple's lunch tab was $27, making that about an 18,500-percent tip.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 18 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 9 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2