Waiter gets $5,000 tip from regular customers in Houston
HOUSTON (KABC) -- A waiter in Houston had a pretty good Memorial Day weekend thanks to a $5,000 tip.
Greg Rubar has been working at D'Amico's Italian Market Cafe for 16 years. On Saturday two of his regulars, a husband and wife came in. They knew he'd lost his car due to flooding in a severe storm a few weeks ago and had been scrambling to get to and from work.
After finishing their lunch, they handed him an envelope with $5,000 cash inside.
"We're still going to come in, but we're not going to tip you for a while,'" said Rubar. "He said, 'This is for you.' He said, 'This is enough money for you to go and buy a nice car.' People can be generous. They told me they felt like I deserved it. It's overwhelming to me."
Rubar said he will use it to buy a new car.
The couple's lunch tab was $27, making that about an 18,500-percent tip.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 19 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 10 min ago
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones 32 min ago
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 49 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
5 min ago