Waiter gets $5,000 tip from regular customers in Houston
HOUSTON (KABC) -- A waiter in Houston had a pretty good Memorial Day weekend thanks to a $5,000 tip.
Greg Rubar has been working at D'Amico's Italian Market Cafe for 16 years. On Saturday two of his regulars, a husband and wife came in. They knew he'd lost his car due to flooding in a severe storm a few weeks ago and had been scrambling to get to and from work.
After finishing their lunch, they handed him an envelope with $5,000 cash inside.
"We're still going to come in, but we're not going to tip you for a while,'" said Rubar. "He said, 'This is for you.' He said, 'This is enough money for you to go and buy a nice car.' People can be generous. They told me they felt like I deserved it. It's overwhelming to me."
Rubar said he will use it to buy a new car.
The couple's lunch tab was $27, making that about an 18,500-percent tip.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved 33 min ago
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Vehicle slams into tree, erupts in flames
- Hostilities erupt in Michael Jackson trial 46 min ago
- OC man convicted of estranged wife's shooting
- Van Nuys road rage: 2 well-dressed men fight
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite 28 min ago
- San Jose sues MLB for stalling A's move
- abcnews: $65K reward in '08 Times Square bombing 37 min ago
- Afghanistan gov. takes over its armed forces
- Expansions for women in combat to be announced
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- Justin Bieber cleared in crash investigation
- OTRC: Katy Perry: Russell Brand texted divorce plan