Waiter gets $5,000 tip from regular customers in Houston
HOUSTON (KABC) -- A waiter in Houston had a pretty good Memorial Day weekend thanks to a $5,000 tip.
Greg Rubar has been working at D'Amico's Italian Market Cafe for 16 years. On Saturday two of his regulars, a husband and wife came in. They knew he'd lost his car due to flooding in a severe storm a few weeks ago and had been scrambling to get to and from work.
After finishing their lunch, they handed him an envelope with $5,000 cash inside.
"We're still going to come in, but we're not going to tip you for a while,'" said Rubar. "He said, 'This is for you.' He said, 'This is enough money for you to go and buy a nice car.' People can be generous. They told me they felt like I deserved it. It's overwhelming to me."
Rubar said he will use it to buy a new car.
The couple's lunch tab was $27, making that about an 18,500-percent tip.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 13 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 19 min ago
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role