Teen survives being shot in head with 3-foot spear in Florida
MIAMI (KABC) -- A Florida teenager is recovering after being shot through the head with a three-foot spear.
He was accidentally shot by his friend as they got ready to go fishing earlier this month. The spear entered about one inch above the teen's right eye and went all the way through to the back of his skull. Doctors say he was very lucky because the spear-tip was removable.
"It was possible for us to figure out a strategy during the operation to be able to unscrew the tip of the spear, instead of having to get this whole spear dragged out through his brain," said Dr. Ross Bullock, a neurosurgeon.
The spear missed every major blood vessel. It pierced the right half of the teen's brain, which means his speech is unaffected, though he has some problems with movement on his left side. The teen also has no memory of the accident, and doctors say he probably never will.
unbelievable, accident, bizarre news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 12 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 3 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2