Teen survives being shot in head with 3-foot spear in Florida
MIAMI (KABC) -- A Florida teenager is recovering after being shot through the head with a three-foot spear.
He was accidentally shot by his friend as they got ready to go fishing earlier this month. The spear entered about one inch above the teen's right eye and went all the way through to the back of his skull. Doctors say he was very lucky because the spear-tip was removable.
"It was possible for us to figure out a strategy during the operation to be able to unscrew the tip of the spear, instead of having to get this whole spear dragged out through his brain," said Dr. Ross Bullock, a neurosurgeon.
The spear missed every major blood vessel. It pierced the right half of the teen's brain, which means his speech is unaffected, though he has some problems with movement on his left side. The teen also has no memory of the accident, and doctors say he probably never will.
unbelievable, accident, bizarre news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 16 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
13 min ago
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
21 min ago