Teen survives being shot in head with 3-foot spear in Florida
MIAMI (KABC) -- A Florida teenager is recovering after being shot through the head with a three-foot spear.
He was accidentally shot by his friend as they got ready to go fishing earlier this month. The spear entered about one inch above the teen's right eye and went all the way through to the back of his skull. Doctors say he was very lucky because the spear-tip was removable.
"It was possible for us to figure out a strategy during the operation to be able to unscrew the tip of the spear, instead of having to get this whole spear dragged out through his brain," said Dr. Ross Bullock, a neurosurgeon.
The spear missed every major blood vessel. It pierced the right half of the teen's brain, which means his speech is unaffected, though he has some problems with movement on his left side. The teen also has no memory of the accident, and doctors say he probably never will.
unbelievable, accident, bizarre news
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 22 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed 8 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)