Teen survives being shot in head with 3-foot spear in Florida
MIAMI (KABC) -- A Florida teenager is recovering after being shot through the head with a three-foot spear.
He was accidentally shot by his friend as they got ready to go fishing earlier this month. The spear entered about one inch above the teen's right eye and went all the way through to the back of his skull. Doctors say he was very lucky because the spear-tip was removable.
"It was possible for us to figure out a strategy during the operation to be able to unscrew the tip of the spear, instead of having to get this whole spear dragged out through his brain," said Dr. Ross Bullock, a neurosurgeon.
The spear missed every major blood vessel. It pierced the right half of the teen's brain, which means his speech is unaffected, though he has some problems with movement on his left side. The teen also has no memory of the accident, and doctors say he probably never will.
unbelievable, accident, bizarre news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'