Turtle taped to balloons sent soaring in Oceanside
OCEANSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A turtle was duct-taped to a bunch of balloons and sent soaring into the sky in Oceanside.
Cellphone video shows the turtle dangling from a tree, after the balloons snagged on some branches. Firefighters came in with a ladder truck to rescue the turtle.
But the wind picked up, and the turtle was blown softly back to the ground. It was then cut from the balloons and appeared to be OK.
Neighbors were shocked someone would do such a thing.
"It's animal abuse. If you didn't want the turtle, give it away. Take it to a pet store. There's adoption agencies for turtles," said area resident Chanelle Wright.
The turtle has been turned over to the Humane Society. If no one claims it, Wright said she will take it and give it a good home.
Authorities say whoever did this faces criminal charges of animal cruelty.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, bizarre news
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'