Turtle taped to balloons sent soaring in Oceanside
OCEANSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A turtle was duct-taped to a bunch of balloons and sent soaring into the sky in Oceanside.
Cellphone video shows the turtle dangling from a tree, after the balloons snagged on some branches. Firefighters came in with a ladder truck to rescue the turtle.
But the wind picked up, and the turtle was blown softly back to the ground. It was then cut from the balloons and appeared to be OK.
Neighbors were shocked someone would do such a thing.
"It's animal abuse. If you didn't want the turtle, give it away. Take it to a pet store. There's adoption agencies for turtles," said area resident Chanelle Wright.
The turtle has been turned over to the Humane Society. If no one claims it, Wright said she will take it and give it a good home.
Authorities say whoever did this faces criminal charges of animal cruelty.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, bizarre news
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report