Turtle taped to balloons sent soaring in Oceanside
OCEANSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A turtle was duct-taped to a bunch of balloons and sent soaring into the sky in Oceanside.
Cellphone video shows the turtle dangling from a tree, after the balloons snagged on some branches. Firefighters came in with a ladder truck to rescue the turtle.
But the wind picked up, and the turtle was blown softly back to the ground. It was then cut from the balloons and appeared to be OK.
Neighbors were shocked someone would do such a thing.
"It's animal abuse. If you didn't want the turtle, give it away. Take it to a pet store. There's adoption agencies for turtles," said area resident Chanelle Wright.
The turtle has been turned over to the Humane Society. If no one claims it, Wright said she will take it and give it a good home.
Authorities say whoever did this faces criminal charges of animal cruelty.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, bizarre news
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries 15 min ago
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 56 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed
- Dana Point woman fights to keep chickens
7 min ago