Emu wanders onto busy Florida highway looking for potential mate
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (KABC) -- An emu created a traffic alert in Cape Canaveral, Florida Wednesday when the bird decided to run along a busy highway during morning rush hour.
The 5-foot tall, flightless Australian bird, named Taco, escaped from his owner's pen about two blocks away and wandered down State Road A1A on Florida's coast, dodging in and out of traffic.
"It's a very large bird. At the time of the incident, folks were trying to get to work," said Brevard County Sheriff's Lt. Alex Herrera. "We have school buses going around. So it became a traffic hazard."
Deputies finally corralled and captured the 4-year-old bird and returned him to his owner, safe and sound.
Taco's owner believes the animal was trying to find a mate but found no feathered love match.
amazing video, animal news, bizarre news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 55 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case 33 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 29 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 5 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour