Goodyear Blimp - a rare view from high above
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Goodyear Blimp has a rich history. Back in the 1930s, Goodyear built airships for the Navy to search for subs. These days, however, you are most likely to see the blimp above a football game.
Take off is about letting go, but flight in the Goodyear Blimp is a little louder than you might think. Top speed is about 50 mph, but because helium is what keeps you aloft, killing the engines is an option.
Goodyear began building blimps for the U.S. Navy in the 30s, but the company is now phasing out the current model, replacing it with a larger, more technically advanced airship. So you won't see the older version in the skies much longer.
Beyond its iconic status, flying on the Goodyear Blimp is very rare. There are actually more people flying as passengers in airplanes at any point during the day than have ever flown as a passenger on the Goodyear Blimp.
"That's one of the things that makes it so exciting, that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity really," said passenger Fernando Hernandez.
Most of the Goodyear passengers and flights are work-related, but the company has helped raise millions for charity by providing rides as an auction item for philanthropic organizations. A ride on the blimp can give you a different look at the floating museum, the USS Iowa.
For many years, Goodyear built blimps for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, but flying over the Rose Parade is also quite a sight.
bizarre news, phillip palmer
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 16 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 45 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)