Balloon-flight tortoise adopted in San Diego
OCEANSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A tortoise that made news as the victim of a cruel prank now has a new home.
Someone taped a bundle of balloons to the tortoise in Oceanside and sent it aloft on August 19. The balloons got stuck in a tree and the tortoise was cut down.
Now the San Diego Humane Society has given "Thomas the Tortoise" to Alicia Berg, an educational program instructor at Mission Trails Regional Park in San Diego.
Berg has been following the tale of the abused Russian tortoise. She called the Humane Society regularly to check on him and to put her name on the adoption list.
Berg says Thomas will be going with her to schools and helping to spread the message that animals should not be abused.
animal news, bizarre news
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 15 min ago
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
57 min ago