Balloon-flight tortoise adopted in San Diego
OCEANSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A tortoise that made news as the victim of a cruel prank now has a new home.
Someone taped a bundle of balloons to the tortoise in Oceanside and sent it aloft on August 19. The balloons got stuck in a tree and the tortoise was cut down.
Now the San Diego Humane Society has given "Thomas the Tortoise" to Alicia Berg, an educational program instructor at Mission Trails Regional Park in San Diego.
Berg has been following the tale of the abused Russian tortoise. She called the Humane Society regularly to check on him and to put her name on the adoption list.
Berg says Thomas will be going with her to schools and helping to spread the message that animals should not be abused.
animal news, bizarre news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 44 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash 29 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role