Balloon-flight tortoise adopted in San Diego
OCEANSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A tortoise that made news as the victim of a cruel prank now has a new home.
Someone taped a bundle of balloons to the tortoise in Oceanside and sent it aloft on August 19. The balloons got stuck in a tree and the tortoise was cut down.
Now the San Diego Humane Society has given "Thomas the Tortoise" to Alicia Berg, an educational program instructor at Mission Trails Regional Park in San Diego.
Berg has been following the tale of the abused Russian tortoise. She called the Humane Society regularly to check on him and to put her name on the adoption list.
Berg says Thomas will be going with her to schools and helping to spread the message that animals should not be abused.
animal news, bizarre news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather 59 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)