Giant eyeball found on Florida beach could be from swordfish - experts
MIAMI (KABC) -- The mystery surrounding a giant eyeball found in Florida may be solved.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission said Monday they believe the specimen came from a swordfish. The experts said they based their conclusion on the eyeball's color, size and structure, along with the presence of bone around it. Genetic testing will be done to confirm that.
A man named Gino Covacci became a national sensation after he found the softball-sized eyeball last week. It was immediately sent to a Florida lab.
Researchers believe a fisherman removed it before getting rid of it. Swordfish are commonly fished off the shore of south Florida during this time of year.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
unbelievable, bizarre news
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing 4 min ago
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months
- Supermarket overload: Too many product...
56 min ago