San Diego Zoo panda cub takes 1st baby steps
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KABC) -- The San Diego Zoo's 11-week-old panda cub took his first wobbly baby steps during his latest exam.
The zoo's senior veterinarian described the cub's first tentative steps "like a toddler holding onto the furniture."
Zoo officials say the panda's physical development is on track for its age and within a few months, the cub should be mobile enough to explore the panda exhibit. For now, he is starting to stand up on all four paws and working on his balance.
At the Thursday exam, the cub came weighed in at 7.2 pounds and measured 21.6 inches long. Also, the cub is beginning to develop a spot on his tail.
The baby was born July 29. The zoo will announce the panda's name in November once he is 100 days old, which is a Chinese tradition.
animal news, san diego, bizarre news
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 14 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble 2 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Push to get more Covered California signups
49 min ago
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
48 min ago