Soldier surprises wife at Rock 'n' Roll marathon in San Antonio
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (KABC) -- It's going to be a very happy Thanksgiving for a San Antonio couple.
A soldier fighting in Afghanistan paid his wife back home a special surprise just in time for the holidays.
Jonathan Gillis, a National Guard sergeant, surprised his wife Giselle with flowers at the end of the finish line at the fifth annual Rock "n" Roll Marathon in San Antonio Sunday.
Gillis had left Afghanistan last week but had told his wife his arrival would be delayed due to dental surgery.
Once his wife saw him, she was overwhelmed with joy and ran into his arms.
"I wanted to cry before because I wanted him to be here so bad, so it's nice he is here," said Giselle Gillis.
Gillis had been away on deployment in Afghanistan since January.
afghanistan war, u.s. military, bizarre news
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- Suspect killed inside Alhambra PD station
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Laguna Beach sexual assault suspect sought
- Calif. unemployment rate falls to 9 percent
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Conn. commuter trains collide, 60 injured
- abcnews: Plane crash sole survivor breaks silence
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review