Circus camel loose on the streets of Glendale
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- It's something that's not often seen: a camel cruising down Verdugo Road in Glendale Friday morning. It was quite the sight for those in the area.
Friday is the first night of shows at the Ramos Brothers Circus in Glendale. So all the animals were not quite used to their surroundings, and one just wanted to get away.
Abdullah the camel ran down Glendale streets, and her handlers couldn't sprint fast enough to catch her.
"Literally there was 10 people running after this camel, it was craziness on the street, I heard kids yelling and screaming," said Diana Madison, who witnessed the incident.
Eyewitness Hamed Hamad says the camel headed straight for oncoming traffic.
"Workers were rushing after the camel, and then one of the worker was trying to go and stop traffic," said Hamad.
They were finally able to stop the camel about a block away -- with a carrot. That's their secret weapon. They were able to use it to encourage her to come back home.
But on the journey back to the circus, Abdullah headed through a gas station.
"People were surprised," said Douglas Ramos, co-owner of Ramos Bros. Circus. "It's not every day you see a camel running through the gas station."
Ramos says it all started inside a tent where the camels were doing their daily exercise.
"Somebody dropped a wrench and one of them got scared," said Ramos.
That camel saw a sliver of daylight and took off.
"You know, we do this every day. This time I guess she just wanted to go shopping or something, I don't know. Black Friday deals," said Ramos.
No humans or camels were injured, and traffic proceeded normally afterward.
animal news, bizarre news, elex michaelson
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 20 min ago
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths 45 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)