Onion's 'Sexiest Man' satire makes China paper
BEIJING (KABC) -- A report by The Onion that named North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un the "Sexiest Man Alive" made the online version of China's Communist Party Newspaper.
Not realizing it was a satire, People's Daily on Tuesday published a photo spread on its website in a tribute to the 29-year-old North Korean leader, with the headline "North Korea's top leader named The Onion's Sexiest Man Alive for 2012."
The newspaper quoted The Onion's spoof report, "With his devastatingly handsome, round face, his boyish charm, and his strong, sturdy frame, this Pyongyang-bred heartthrob is every woman's dream come true."
People's Daily could not immediately be reached for comment.
Kim Jong Un was officially declared the supreme leader following the funeral for his father, Kim Jong Il, last year.
"Blessed with an air of power that masks an unmistakable cute, cuddly side, Kim made this newspaper's editorial board swoon with his impeccable fashion sense, chic short hairstyle, and, of course, that famous smile," the People's Daily cited The Onion as saying.
It is not the first time an international news agency has fallen for a fictional report by The Onion. In 2002, the Beijing Evening News, one of the capital city's biggest tabloids at the time, published as news the spoof that the Congress wanted a new building and that it might leave Washington.
Two months ago, Iran's semiofficial Fars news agency reprinted a story from The Onion about a fictional survey showing that rural white Americans would rather vote for Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad than President Barack Obama.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 19 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks