12/12/12 marks special day to tie the knot
NORWALK, Calif. (KABC) -- It's 12/12/12, and that's a hot date for lovebirds. Couples are lining up to tie the knot on this rare day.
It's not every day a couple gets to have a special date like 12/12/12 for a wedding anniversary.
At the Los Angeles County Registrar's Office, the lobby was packed with couples who decided to get married on this special day.
Elizabeth Knox with the Registrar's Office said they're currently maxed out for ceremonies on Wednesday in Norwalk.
Rudy Arvizo and Jasmine Garcia have been together for almost a decade, but they decided to become husband and wife just a few days ago.
"I'm ready to do it. It's been seven years, so I'm ready for the rest of our lives," said Arvizo.
But not everyone here is making a spur-of-the-moment decision. Wednesday's wedding ceremony was the first of three for Winnie Liu and Peter Chen.
In the evening, they will fly to Taiwan and then Guangzhou, China to celebrate with their families. They even have personalized chocolate favors printed with the special date.
Efrain Escobedo with the Los Angeles County Registrar Recorder's Office said they're more than ready to accommodate the higher than normal volumes of couples wanting to get married. Although the Norwalk office is all booked, marriage applications can still be accessed on the office's website, www.lavote.net/clert/marriages.
Escobedo says the Lancaster office may still have openings available for ceremonies - but that's only for ceremonies. If you're only looking to obtain a marriage license, you can do that online or visit any of the registrar's offices.
As people rush to the altar all over the world, many people are also recognizing those with 12/12 birthdays.
The rare date marks the 12th birthdays for Riverside twins Steven and Alexis Carpintero. The twins' mother, Louisa, says their due date was actually Jan. 7 but they arrived early - just in time for Dec. 12.
The Carpintero twins aren't the only ones celebrating their birthdays - birthdays were marked all over the world with babies born in Bangkok, Brisbane and more.
The rare phenomenon of three same numbers in a date will happen again in 88 years on Jan. 1, 2101, or 01/01/01.
birth, bizarre news, subha ravindhran
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker 1 min ago
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater 54 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis