New Hampshire toddler survives 4-inch pencil into brain
NEW BOSTON, N.H. (KABC) -- A miracle recovery for a toddler in New Hampshire after a pencil went into her eye socket, penetrating 4 inches into her brain.
Olivia Smith, 20 months old, had fallen while coloring with new pencils. Her mother noticed an orange pencil coming from her right eye.
She was flown to a children's hospital where doctors performed the delicate surgery.
"If you go in at a 45-degree angle in the corner of this eye, it was about 2 and a half inches coming out, sticking out. And we didn't know how long the pencil was," said New Boston Fire Chief Dan MacDonald.
The pencil was 4 inches long.
Smith suffered three strokes, leaving her right side motionless. But she's expected to make a full recovery.
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians