New Hampshire toddler survives 4-inch pencil into brain
NEW BOSTON, N.H. (KABC) -- A miracle recovery for a toddler in New Hampshire after a pencil went into her eye socket, penetrating 4 inches into her brain.
Olivia Smith, 20 months old, had fallen while coloring with new pencils. Her mother noticed an orange pencil coming from her right eye.
She was flown to a children's hospital where doctors performed the delicate surgery.
"If you go in at a 45-degree angle in the corner of this eye, it was about 2 and a half inches coming out, sticking out. And we didn't know how long the pencil was," said New Boston Fire Chief Dan MacDonald.
The pencil was 4 inches long.
Smith suffered three strokes, leaving her right side motionless. But she's expected to make a full recovery.
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 14 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 12 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 10 min ago
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
26 min ago