New Hampshire toddler survives 4-inch pencil into brain
NEW BOSTON, N.H. (KABC) -- A miracle recovery for a toddler in New Hampshire after a pencil went into her eye socket, penetrating 4 inches into her brain.
Olivia Smith, 20 months old, had fallen while coloring with new pencils. Her mother noticed an orange pencil coming from her right eye.
She was flown to a children's hospital where doctors performed the delicate surgery.
"If you go in at a 45-degree angle in the corner of this eye, it was about 2 and a half inches coming out, sticking out. And we didn't know how long the pencil was," said New Boston Fire Chief Dan MacDonald.
The pencil was 4 inches long.
Smith suffered three strokes, leaving her right side motionless. But she's expected to make a full recovery.
- Man allegedly shoots, kills sister, wife
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year 23 min ago
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients 39 min ago
- House GOP signal support for budget deal 41 min ago
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Mega Millions jackpot to soar to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms 21 min ago
- OTRC: 'Terminator' reboot: Jason Clarke in talks 57 min ago