New Hampshire toddler survives 4-inch pencil into brain
NEW BOSTON, N.H. (KABC) -- A miracle recovery for a toddler in New Hampshire after a pencil went into her eye socket, penetrating 4 inches into her brain.
Olivia Smith, 20 months old, had fallen while coloring with new pencils. Her mother noticed an orange pencil coming from her right eye.
She was flown to a children's hospital where doctors performed the delicate surgery.
"If you go in at a 45-degree angle in the corner of this eye, it was about 2 and a half inches coming out, sticking out. And we didn't know how long the pencil was," said New Boston Fire Chief Dan MacDonald.
The pencil was 4 inches long.
Smith suffered three strokes, leaving her right side motionless. But she's expected to make a full recovery.
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Mandela interpreter cites hallucinations 47 min ago
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat 37 min ago
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage 48 min ago
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- LA Lakers talk game on Christmas Day
51 min ago