Polar bear cub unveiled at New York zoo
BUFFALO, N.Y. (KABC) -- The Buffalo Zoo in New York introduced an adorable cub to the public for the very first time - a playful baby polar bear.
The western New York zoo is one of only two zoos in North America to have polar bear births in 2012.
The cub was born on Nov. 27 and has been hand raised by the zoo's veterinary technician and keeper staff.
The zoo's furry resident is full of energy and loves to play with his caregivers.
"She's really cute right now when she's sleeping," Alice Rohauer said laughing. "She is fun to take care of. She plays a lot more now. She interacts with me a lot more. She plays with toys now so it's fun to watch. She is a handful now but its fun."
Over the past two years, the zoo has raised $14 million of the $18 million needed to build a new entrance and polar bear exhibit. They are now asking residents of western New York and surrounding areas to help raise the remaining $4 million.
animal news, bizarre news
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- LA sheriffs rescue stranded family of seven
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list