Polar bear cub unveiled at New York zoo
BUFFALO, N.Y. (KABC) -- The Buffalo Zoo in New York introduced an adorable cub to the public for the very first time - a playful baby polar bear.
The western New York zoo is one of only two zoos in North America to have polar bear births in 2012.
The cub was born on Nov. 27 and has been hand raised by the zoo's veterinary technician and keeper staff.
The zoo's furry resident is full of energy and loves to play with his caregivers.
"She's really cute right now when she's sleeping," Alice Rohauer said laughing. "She is fun to take care of. She plays a lot more now. She interacts with me a lot more. She plays with toys now so it's fun to watch. She is a handful now but its fun."
Over the past two years, the zoo has raised $14 million of the $18 million needed to build a new entrance and polar bear exhibit. They are now asking residents of western New York and surrounding areas to help raise the remaining $4 million.
animal news, bizarre news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 14 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery 3 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide 1 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital 10 min ago
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)