Bear cubs found in box off roadside in South Carolina
LONG CREEK, S.C. (KABC) -- A volunteer firefighter in South Carolina was in for a big surprise when he discovered what he thought was a box of puppies on the side of the road.
Brandon Poole saw the box while driving with his family. What he thought were three puppies turned out to be three bear cubs.
Poole put the cubs in his truck and took them to the fire house.
"I put them in the truck with us and got up here to the firehouse and called the game warden, because I couldn't let them freeze that night. It got real cold. They could have died," Poole said.
Poole's daughters thought the cubs were adorable and wanted to keep them. The daughters didn't get their wish, but thanks to Poole, the cubs are now in safe hands. One was taken to the historic Charles Towne Landing in Charleston, and the other two were taken to the Appalachian Bear Rescue in Knoxville, Tenn.
animal news, bizarre news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 29 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap 33 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)