3300-mile wheelchair ride to New York state high school reunion
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Monica resident Gabriel Cordell is rolling across the country in his wheelchair to make it to his 25th high school reunion in West Hempstead, New York next month.
The 42-year old paraplegic departed from the Burbank YMCA Tuesday morning.
Cordell was left disabled after a car accident 20 years ago. He says his journey is a dream come true.
"I want to inspire and affect people. I want to be able to show everyone that no matter what their circumstances are, if they put their mind to something, they can accomplish it, no matter what anyone says to them," said Cordell.
Cordell says he plans to travel about 50 miles a day on his wheelchair. His entire trip is 3,300 miles.
He will be accompanied by a camera crew that's making a documentary film about his journey.
unbelievable, caught on tape, rescue, bizarre news
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 49 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 29 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 51 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
13 min ago