3300-mile wheelchair ride to New York state high school reunion
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Monica resident Gabriel Cordell is rolling across the country in his wheelchair to make it to his 25th high school reunion in West Hempstead, New York next month.
The 42-year old paraplegic departed from the Burbank YMCA Tuesday morning.
Cordell was left disabled after a car accident 20 years ago. He says his journey is a dream come true.
"I want to inspire and affect people. I want to be able to show everyone that no matter what their circumstances are, if they put their mind to something, they can accomplish it, no matter what anyone says to them," said Cordell.
Cordell says he plans to travel about 50 miles a day on his wheelchair. His entire trip is 3,300 miles.
He will be accompanied by a camera crew that's making a documentary film about his journey.
unbelievable, caught on tape, rescue, bizarre news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)