World's Ugliest Dog title goes to Californian beagle-boxer-basset mix
PETALUMA, Calif. (KABC) -- A California beagle-boxer-basset-hound mix was the upset winner at the 25th annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
Huge-headed, duck-footed Walle is a 4-year-old mutt from Chico. He was entered at the last minute, after his owner kept getting so many comments about the dog's appearance.
"Everybody always says that there's something wrong with him - his head's too big, his back is too short. It's nice to win at something," said owner Tammie Barbee, who has had Walle since he was just 3 months old.
Judges said they were especially impressed by Walle's bizarre waddle of a walk.
"This dog looked like he's been photo-shopped with pieces from various dogs and maybe a few other animals," judge Brian Sobel said.
Walle and Barbee won $1,500 and will make several network TV appearances next week, including "Jimmy Kimmel Live."
The contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with media from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the dogs are judged for their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, bizarre news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 33 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 34 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 32 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...