727-pound alligator caught in Mississippi, smashes state record
CLAIBORNE COUNTY, Miss. (KABC) -- Alligator hunters in Mississippi broke the state's record for the biggest gator ever caught.
Dustin Bockman and his two partners captured the male alligator Sunday after chasing it for two hours on the Mississippi River. Once they got close enough to the gator, the team shot it with a crossbow.
Then it took another 10 hours to get the nearly 14-foot reptile inside their boat.
The gator ended up weighing 727 pounds, beating the state record by just 4 pounds.
The gator also happened to be Bockman's very first catch.
"My goal was to get a 10-footer," he said. "I couldn't believe it when it was that big."
ABC News contributed to this report.
animal news, bizarre news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse 53 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 34 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 24 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts