Single soldier dad surprises 3 kids at school for Valentine's Day
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A single dad returning home from a yearlong deployment in Afghanistan went school to school Friday to surprise each of his three kids for Valentine's Day.
First, California Army National Guard Chief Warrant Officer David Duran surprised his 14-year-old son at Nightingale Middle School in Lincoln Heights.
"It feels good. I want to spend the whole time with him, every minute," the teen said.
After surprising his son and getting a certificate of appreciation from school officials at Nightingale, it was time for Duran to give his next child, Nicole, a senior at Lincoln High School, the same heartwarming Valentine's Day gift.
"Oh my goodness, I am so happy you're home," she told her father through tears of joy. "I love him so much. I didn't expect him. I thought he was going to come Saturday. We were going to pick him up."
She said she couldn't have asked for a better Valentine's Day gift.
"It is a great gift to give her. It's her senior year, so this is a very special moment I was able to give her," her dad said.
Next, Duran went to his third and final school to greet his other daughter, fourth-grader Luz. She was filled with tears of joy as she threw her arms around her daddy.
"We always think of those reunions and I am just one of the fortunate ones," Duran said.
u.s. military, bizarre news, leo stallworth
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre 58 min ago