Burbank couple celebrates 82 years of marriage
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Who knew exchanging candy bars in the fifth grade would be so sweet for Harold and Edna Owings?
On Friday, a bowl of 82 Baby Ruth bars, the very candy that brought them together, represents the number of years the Burbank couple has been married.
"When we were in the fifth grade, I happened to be his pick for a girlfriend. That was kids' stuff, of course," said Edna.
In sixth grade, Edna's family moved six miles away. That distance didn't stop Harold from driving to see his sweetheart.
"Then, you didn't need a license. His dad was chief of police. He built up the pedals so that he could drive," said Edna.
As the two dated, Edna recalls one outing during their junior year in high school.
"He said, 'Well when we get married&' I said, 'What? Get married? Why, Harold Owings, if I thought I would marry you, I would quit you right now,'" said Edna. "He's a Leo. He must have been very persistent."
Family and friends listened to the longtime couple as they were honored at Bellarmine-Jefferson High School. Worldwide Marriage Encounter named them the longest married couple in the United States, based on nominations submitted to the faith-based marriage enrichment program. The idea is to inspire young couples that marriages can go the distance.
"We've had such a happy marriage. It's a storybook marriage. It's easy because I guess we loved each other and we talked things out," said Edna. "We are as much in love now as we were when we got married."
"That's for sure," Harold agrees.
The Owings have four grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. Their relationship has been the family's foundation.
"They have such love, they never argue, they are always happy," said granddaughter Carla Schneider. "They are an inspiration to all people in love."
valentine's day, bizarre news, coleen sullivan
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months