Girl Scout sells cookies outside San Francisco marijuana clinic
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- It's Girl Scout cookie season -- we've all seen girls in their patch-covered tan vests out in force for a couple of weeks now, knocking on doors and setting up shop at grocery stores. But one savvy scout is getting a leg up on the competition with a unique sales location -- outside a medical marijuana dispensary in San Francisco's Mission District.
Thirteen-year-old Danielle Lei set up her cookie table Monday in front of The Green Cross dispensary on Mission Street and quickly sold out. After just 45 minutes, she reportedly had to call for reinforcement cookies, according to clinic.
"Her mother was quoted as saying that she sold about 117 boxes in two hours," said Holli Bert, spokesperson for The Green Cross.
Danielle's mom Carol says selling cookies teaches her two girls goal setting, decision-making management, people skills and business ethics. Carol Lei said the location was not to make a political statement, but instead an opportunity to take her daughter around different parts of the city. Plus, she believed it would be a good way to start a conversation about drugs with her daughters.
Ever since The Green Cross posted it on Reddit, the story has exploded online.
Due to popular demand, Danielle was expected to return to The Green Cross store front for more cookie selling on Saturday afternoon. Half the proceeds of those sales will go toward Alzheimer's-related charitable causes, according to the clinic's Facebook page.
Sister station KGO-TV in San Francisco contributed to this report.
san francisco, bizarre news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 14 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report