Tips for year-end job hunting
NEW YORK -- The conventional wisdom is that the holidays are a terrible time to look for a job, but that may just be more myth than fact.
Turns out, some career advisers say the next few weeks actually offer some unique opportunities if you're in the job market.
"One of the things that is great about the holidays is that you're going to be around a lot of people that you may not have seen all year round," Michael Erwin of Careerbuilder said. "You need to tap into them as your network, and let them know that you're looking for jobs, because in most cases, somebody is going to know of a job that's out there, and they're going to be able to make that connection for you."
Among their suggestions:
Offer to be a fill-in while others vacation and make the most of it.
Find a local professional organization's holiday mixer, and do some networking.
Pick up the phone, instead of sending an email. During a slow holiday week, you might make a connection.
Send holiday cards or emails to your contacts to get back on their radar.
"You don't necessarily have to lead with the fact that you're looking for a job, but it's ok to put it in there. And that may trigger somebody who knows of an opportunity that might be a good fit for you and hopefully land an interview for you and a new job,"
If you're working a holiday retail job, ask what happens in 2012, and if that temporary position might become permanent.
The key to all this: work smart. And if you find yourself in job is supposed to last just during the holidays - make the most of it. Remember, no one wants a great worker to leave.
job, job hunting, business, bill ritter
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)