Busiest shipping day is today
NEW YORK -- We've been through Black Friday and Cyber Monday, now yet another holiday shopping milestone: Green Monday.
That's the relatively new nickname for the second Monday in December.
Online sales are expected to hit more than $1 billion today.
It is also expected to be the busiest day in FedEx history.
The company expects to move about 17 million shipments around the world.
That's nearly double its daily average volume.
"Online shopping is by far the biggest reason we're seeing so many packages. And also people like to ship their packages if they're traveling for the holidays, they don't want to carry them on a plane," Jennifer Cordeau from FedEx explained.
The National Retail Federation expects nearly 47 percent of holiday shoppers this year to buy gifts online.
That's a 4 percent jump from just a year ago.
christmas mail, business, tim fleischer
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations 24 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break