Busiest shipping day is today
NEW YORK -- We've been through Black Friday and Cyber Monday, now yet another holiday shopping milestone: Green Monday.
That's the relatively new nickname for the second Monday in December.
Online sales are expected to hit more than $1 billion today.
It is also expected to be the busiest day in FedEx history.
The company expects to move about 17 million shipments around the world.
That's nearly double its daily average volume.
"Online shopping is by far the biggest reason we're seeing so many packages. And also people like to ship their packages if they're traveling for the holidays, they don't want to carry them on a plane," Jennifer Cordeau from FedEx explained.
The National Retail Federation expects nearly 47 percent of holiday shoppers this year to buy gifts online.
That's a 4 percent jump from just a year ago.
christmas mail, business, tim fleischer
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate