Woman sues over alleged hotel sex assault
NEW YORK -- Alison Fournier says the frightening attack in a hotel room changed her life and forced her from a career she loved.
The former investment banker says it happened last January in Helsinki, Finland in the Hotel Kamp.
That's when she says she woke up naked in bed to find a strange intoxicated man groping her. She got away unhurt, but learned later, he has been given a key to her room at the hotel desk simply by claiming to be her husband.
"The attack on Alison could have been avoided if the Hotel Kamp had taken even the most basic security precautions such as asking the man for identification, checking the hotel registration, or calling Alison's room to ask whether this man was authorized to receive a key," attorney Gloria Allred said.
Allred filed suit against Starwood Hotels, the parent company of the Hotel Kamp, alleging negligence and negligent infliction of emotional distress and seeking unspecified damages.
"Alison has chosen to speak out today because she hopes by doing so she will be able to warn other women who may be traveling alone of the danger that they may face," she said.
Starwood Hotels issued a statement:
"We are taking this allegation seriously and are working with the hotel in question to understand the facts and any breach of security that may have contributed to this very unfortunate event."
Because of the lingering trauma, Fornier says she left her job and New York City.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lawsuit, legal, sexual assault, starwood hotels, gloria allred, business, sandra bookman
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Vehicle slams into tree, erupts in flames
- Hostilities erupt in Michael Jackson trial
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- OC man convicted of estranged wife's shooting
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- San Jose sues MLB for stalling A's move
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: $65K reward in '08 Times Square bombing
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors 52 min ago
- Afghanistan gov. takes over its armed forces
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Katy Perry: Russell Brand texted divorce plan