Fresh & Easy to close 12 underperforming stores
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Several Fresh & Easy grocery stores that are underperforming will be temporarily closing.
The company that owns the stores said it is shutting down 12 locations, including some in Southern California.
"At this time, there is simply not enough growth in sales and customers at these stores to keep them open. We will close these stores over the coming weeks and we will re-open them when economic and business conditions warrant," the company's spokesperson said in a statement.
Company officials said they're offering all affected employees positions at nearby stores.
In 2009, Fresh & Easy reported a $250-million loss.
The chain is reworking its strategy and focusing on areas that will be more profitable.
It plans to open 25 stores by the end of March. At least four of them will be in Southern California. The stores will be express shops, and will only carry the chain's most popular items.
The following are the stores that will be closing:
- 1709 W Florida Avenue, Hemet, CA
- 3170 W. Lincoln Avenue, Anaheim, CA
- 16201 Harbor Boulevard, Fountain Valley, CA
- 1801 Planz Road, Bakersfield, CA
- 1640 Puente Avenue, Baldwin Park, CA
- 3040 North Cedar Avenue, Fresno, CA
- 2645 E. Riverside Drive, Ontario, CA
- 1904 W. Glendale Avenue, Phoenix, AZ
- 3131 East Greenway Road, Phoenix, AZ
- 13215 North 7th Street, Phoenix, AZ
- 8365 West Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ
- 4810 W. Ann Road Las Vegas, NV
shopping, economy, business, subha ravindhran
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 57 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant 33 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present