Albertsons to lay off up to 2,500 workers in California, Nevada
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Albertson's on Wednesday announced it is laying off up to 2,500 people in Southern California and Southern Nevada.
The layoffs, which start June 17, are the result of its parent company's financial woes. Albertsons said it is being forced to downsize due to a decrease in sales.
Albertsons has 247 stores in those regions, and there will be layoffs at every location. From clerks, baggers and deli workers, the company said no position at the store level is safe.
"A decision of this nature is never easy, but it is the necessary step for us to take to help improve our business and accelerate our turnaround. Our goal is to more effectively serve the marketplace by scheduling associates more appropriately to serve customers at the times they shop," said Albertsons President Dan Sanders.
Albertsons is working with the employee union, officials said.The union was contacted Wednesday morning. The local will monitor the layoffs to make sure they are done by classification and seniority, as required in the collective bargaining agreement.
The layoffs do not affect the chain's Intermountain West division or Albertsons' parent, SuperValu Inc., officials said. Albertsons is the largest retail chain in SuperValu's family of stores.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
economy, jobs, business, rob mcmillan
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest 11 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- East LA chase reaches speeds close to 120 mph
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- FBI busts international sports gambling ring
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- California lawmakers, governor get pay raise
28 min ago