Apple unveils new state-of-the-art MacBook
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Apple overhauled its popular notebook, the MacBook Pro, at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco on Monday.
The latest version of the MacBook Pro has a state-of-the-art, super high-resolution "Retina" screen. Apple executive Phil Schiller said it will have four times the resolution of previous models.
The Retina display is an expensive upgrade. The new MacBook will cost $2,199 and up, $400 more than the non-Retina MacBook with the same-sized screen.
There was no bombshell or game-changing new product introduced at the conference. Investors had expected more substantive news, like a hint of Apple's ambition to get into making TVs.
Apple did announce, however, that it is kicking the Google Maps application off its iPhone. The Google Maps app has been on the iPhone since the company first launched the phone in 2007.
Apple executives said Google Maps will be replaced by an Apple-developed app in iOS 6, the new operating system for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches. It's set to be released late this year.
"iOS 6 is a phenomenal release," said Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president for iOS software.
Apple also said it's building Facebook into iOS 6, snubbing the Google Plus social network. Users will be able to update their Facebook status by talking to their phones, and "like" movies and apps in Apple's iTunes store, Forstall said.
The new version of the Mac operating system, Mountain Lion, will go on sale next month for $20, Apple announced. The update brings features from Apple's phone and tablet software, like the iMessage texting application, to the Mac.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
apple, technology, business
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour 21 min ago
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy 53 min ago
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 8 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film
- Oxnard nursery relieved plants didn't freeze
19 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
10 min ago