Apple unveils new state-of-the-art MacBook
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Apple overhauled its popular notebook, the MacBook Pro, at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco on Monday.
The latest version of the MacBook Pro has a state-of-the-art, super high-resolution "Retina" screen. Apple executive Phil Schiller said it will have four times the resolution of previous models.
The Retina display is an expensive upgrade. The new MacBook will cost $2,199 and up, $400 more than the non-Retina MacBook with the same-sized screen.
There was no bombshell or game-changing new product introduced at the conference. Investors had expected more substantive news, like a hint of Apple's ambition to get into making TVs.
Apple did announce, however, that it is kicking the Google Maps application off its iPhone. The Google Maps app has been on the iPhone since the company first launched the phone in 2007.
Apple executives said Google Maps will be replaced by an Apple-developed app in iOS 6, the new operating system for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches. It's set to be released late this year.
"iOS 6 is a phenomenal release," said Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president for iOS software.
Apple also said it's building Facebook into iOS 6, snubbing the Google Plus social network. Users will be able to update their Facebook status by talking to their phones, and "like" movies and apps in Apple's iTunes store, Forstall said.
The new version of the Mac operating system, Mountain Lion, will go on sale next month for $20, Apple announced. The update brings features from Apple's phone and tablet software, like the iMessage texting application, to the Mac.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
apple, technology, business
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead 19 min ago
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide