Outlet mall possibly in the works in the Bronx
CASTLE HILL -- The deal isn't even done, but Bronx residents are already dreaming of the stores that could soon open in a designer outlet mall in the Bronx.
The site is located in the Castle Hill section. It would be an alternative to trekking to New Jersey or Woodbury commons for Julio Maldonado.
"They're kind of far away. Nice to put it in the Bronx," Julio said.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. says the economic arm of his office has been in talks since the spring with real estate developer The Lighthouse Group about the replacing the Whitestone multi-plex with a bargain hunters haven.
The 19.2 acre site sits near the busy Bruckner Expressway, the Hutchinson River Expressway and the Cross Bronx Expressway. Diaz says he's already in talks with the Department of Transportation on how to ease congestion if the mall opens up.
The developer bought the land in May for 30 million dollars, and says it is enthusiastic about bringing jobs to the Bronx.
In a written statement a spokesperson says "Lightstone is still exploring the economic feasibility of developing retail on this site."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
castle hill, bronx, business, darla miles
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain 41 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate 25 min ago