Albertsons shutting down underperforming stores; 19 in SoCal
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- The parent company for Albertsons announced plans Thursday to close more than two dozen stores, many of which are in Southern California.
Supervalu Inc. will be closing 27 underperforming Albertsons stores, including 19 in the Southland. Most of the affected stores are expected to be closed by December.
Officials say the closures will save the company $35 million over the next year and nearly $90 million over the next three years. The closures will mean an unknown number of layoffs. Albertsons says that number will depend on the union's collective bargaining agreement. The workers' union has not commented yet.
Wayne Sales, the president of Supervalu, released the following statement:
"These decisions are never easy because of the impact a store closure has on our team members, our customers, and our communities. Today's announcement reflects our commitment to move with a greater sense of urgency to reduce costs and improve shareholder value."
Customers at the Jurupa Valley location say they're disappointed. Not only will they have to find a new place to shop, they're also wondering what this means for the economy overall.
"It's getting worse. I would have thought we're passed that period of time with the crisis on everything. I thought everything was picking up and we're doing better. This is really sad news," said Albertsons shopper Elizabeth Berario.
But Albertson's employees and customers in Moreno Valley won't be the only ones affected by that location's closure. Kelly Chea, a worker at nearby KD's Donuts, says when the Albertons closes, it's going to hurt everyone in the plaza she works in.
"We get a lot of traffic from Albertsons customers you know, now they're closing, so hopefully everybody survives in this plaza," she said.
Closing Albertsons locations
- Mesmer and Jefferson - Culver City
- 7th and Redondo - Long Beach
- Harbor and Garden Grove Boulevard - Garden Grove
- Harbor Boulevard and Imperial Highway - Fullerton
- Dale and La Palma - Buena Park
- Brookhurst and Katella - Anaheim
- Baldwin Hills - Los Angeles
- Central and Chevy Chase - Glendale
- Devonshire and Reseda - Northridge
- Van Nuys and Sherman - Van Nuys
- Bear Valley and Amethyst Roads - Victorville
- Pigeon Pass and Ironwood - Moreno Valley
- Colima and Fairway Drive - Rowland Heights
- Hamner Ave and Hidden Valley Parkway - Norco
- Grove Avenue and Walnut Street - Ontario
- Limonite and Clay - Riverside
- Colima Road - Hacienda Heights
- Amar and Nogales - Walnut
- Azusa and Cypress - Covina
business, rob mcmillan
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged elder abuse 58 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly killed woman 53 min ago
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard 43 min ago
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again 53 min ago
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US 7 min ago
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)