Small Business Saturday encourages shoppers to patronize local mom-and-pop stores
LA CRESCENTA-MONTROSE, Calif. (KABC) -- With the holiday shopping rush in mid-frenzy, most eyes are on the big-box retailers and their Black Friday door-buster sales. Small Business Saturday encourages shoppers to patronize local mom-and-pop businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
From Montrose to historic Fullerton to all across the country, Small Business Saturday is all about shopping locally.
In a counterpoint to Black Friday and corresponding special deals at large retailers, the day was created by American Express in 2010 to boost business for small independently owned businesses that can't compete with the larger retailers.
Whether it's a small boutique or a special restaurant, the goal is to get the public to shop small.
Susan Upton, owner of Lulu Boutique in Fullerton, says everyone benefits from shopping small because it helps strengthen our local economies.
"Every dollar you spend in downtown Fullerton is returned in some way to the community whether through our personal donations or through whatever tax moneys are collected by our city," said Upton.
Many owners say that small business Saturdays are great campaigns for raising awareness about independently owned businesses and hope the promotion will drive customer traffic and translate to their bottom line. The ultimate goal is to make sure that small business shopping is more of an everyday occurrence.
economy, community activity, business, leanne suter
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology 30 min ago
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut