Boeing 787 Dreamliner sees first flight out of LAX
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- LAN Airlines became the first carrier to offer international service from LAX on Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner on Wednesday.
The inaugural flight departed for Santiago, Chile, at 2:45 p.m.
The Dreamliner is the world's first commercial plane made primarily of lightweight carbon composites, making it about 20 percent more fuel efficient than comparable commercial jetliners.
Inside the cabin, passengers will notice oversized windows that dim electronically, high-definition video screens at every seat and what is promised as a smoother flight.
"The carbon composite makes the airplane itself more flexible, so whenever you're going through turbulences, you will have a less bumpier ride," said Juan Camilo Caicedo of LAN Airlines. "You'll feel less noise, less stress."
According to the airline, the Dreamliner has a solution for jetlag.
"It pressurizes at a lower capacity of altitude, so actually you get more oxygen, and provides a better atmosphere, so you lower your dryness, dizziness and you get more oxygen, which improves the jetlag," Caicedo said.
In August, LAN Airlines was the first carrier in the Americas to receive the new 787. Boeing has received more than 800 orders for the 787.
airline, airplane, business, rob hayes
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 40 min ago
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat 34 min ago
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
31 min ago