Facebook announces new social search feature
MENLO PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Facebook on Tuesday announced a new search feature that will allow users to search for information about people, photos, places and interests.
The event at Facebook's Menlo Park headquarters was the first since its May initial public offering.With the new "graph search," Facebook users can now search for friends who live in a certain city and like a particular movie. Or users can see all the photos taken by friends in a certain city. Until now, Facebook users were unable to search for friends who live in a certain town or like a particular movie.
"When Facebook first launched, the main way most people used the site was to browse around, learn about people and make new connections. Graph Search takes us back to our roots and allows people to use the graph to make new connections," a statement on Facebook said.
CEO Mark Zuckerberg says there are privacy protections built into the feature that will allow users to only search for content that has been shared with them.
"The roll out is going to be slow so we can see how people use Graph Search and make improvements," the social networking site said. "We look forward to your feedback. Enjoy and explore the graph."
facebook, technology, business
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 44 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 1 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 50 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 26 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights 50 min ago
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 19 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book