Texting, driving OK in newly-equipped cars
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- BMW is rolling out an all-new version of its X3 crossover Sport Utility Vehicle that will feature lots of amenities
Along with a newly-optional turbocharged engine and an advanced eight-speed automatic transmission, it also has an option for those who feel they absolutely must text behind the wheel.
"You can now see all of your e-mails and text messages on the screen," said BMW spokesman Joe Wierda. "When you're driving, you don't have to look at your screen. You can press the play button and the messages will be read aloud to you by the computer."
So far, the system only works with Blackberry-format smart phones, but Droid and iPhone applications could come along later.
Joining the integration trend, Kia has a new system called UVO, developed with help from Microsoft as a way to use gadgets in the car more easily and more safely.
UVO is voice controlled and has many functions, including asking the car to read SMS text messages to aloud.
"We are connected in our officers, in our homes. It's natural progression to make that connectivity from that element into the vehicle," said Henry Bzeih, a Kia engineer.
Reaction tends to be positive once drivers realize they can put the phone away out of reach.
These systems are fueled partly by market demand and partly by increasing regulation about distraction behind the wheel.
auto news, auto industry, car tips, dave kunz
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report