Flashy, speedy LFA breaks sedate Lexus mold
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Lexus brand usually brings to mind sedate, luxury cars with an air of quietness, but not all of them fit that mold. The newest model is a take-no-prisoners exotic called the LFA.
"It's been about 10 years in the making. A lot of development, a lot of strategy built into it, and of course a lot of checking out the competition to make sure we fit in that category very well," said Lexus spokesman Bob Allen.
The LFA is a true "supercar," made of exotic materials like carbon fiber. Its Formula 1-inspired V10 engine makes over 550 horsepower.
This super ride has a super-sized price tag of $375,000.
Scott Pruett is Lexus's pro race driver in residence, logging thousands of miles in the car training buyers and dealers.
Since it takes a closed race track to fully appreciate it, Eyewitness News got to do some hot laps with Pruett, witnessing firsthand how to get the car to its full potential.
The LFA is fairly easy to drive at speed, hitting 130 mph a couple of times during the test drive, effortlessly.
The gear set is employed to connect the two, which is very unusual. And that's just one example. Detail after detail make themselves known as you spend time with the car.
For example, the exhaust note is custom tuned by the music division of Yamaha.
Only 500 examples of the LFA are being built with fewer than 200 coming to the U.S. If you have the means and want to be one of the few to snatch up this ultimate Lexus, you'd better move fast.
The car certainly does.
auto news, car tips, dave kunz
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 13 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre