General Motors releases most powerful Corvette yet
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An exotic new Corvette that has Ferrari-like power in an all-American package may go down in history as the most powerful production car General Motors ever built.
Fans of Chevy's two-seater Corvette will tell you that any example is special.
But here's one that only comes along once in a generation: a "super Corvette." Chevrolet calls it the ZR1.
Its spec sheet would have been unheard of not too many years ago. The supercharged V-8 engine produces a jaw-dropping 638 horsepower.
Parts of the body are made of exotic, lightweight carbon fiber. And the brakes are huge carbon-ceramic discs that can pull the ZR1 down from speed in almost no time.
The price of Corvette perfection, you might ask? A base 2011 Corvette with 430 horsepower -- no slouch -- can be yours for $49,525.
Step up to the Corvette Z06 and its 505 horsepower, and the former top dog starts at a cool $75,525.
But the ZR1 slams right through the six-figure mark with a base price of $111,525. Add the federal gas-guzzler tax and some comfort options and you're north of $120,000.
The power of the new ZR1 super-charged V-8 is really staggering. But we could be at a zenith for Corvette power in the history of the car. Upcoming emission and fuel-economy standards may mean that Chevrolet has to go to a smaller engine for the car. In fact, rumors persist that the next-generation Corvette will get a twin-turbo V-6 engine.
But Vettes have always had eights, right? Well, no. The original model of 1953 had a six under its hood.
Of course, Chevrolet later added the V-8 and sales took off, along with the car's mystique. But things are different these days: smaller, more efficient engines are en vogue.
This could actually be the last of its breed. GM has shown its engineering might and has built a super-car with world-class power.
Future Corvettes will probably be just as exotic, or maybe more so. But from a horsepower standpoint, this might be it: One very expensive Chevrolet for the record books.
auto news, car tips, dave kunz
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks