General Motors releases most powerful Corvette yet
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An exotic new Corvette that has Ferrari-like power in an all-American package may go down in history as the most powerful production car General Motors ever built.
Fans of Chevy's two-seater Corvette will tell you that any example is special.
But here's one that only comes along once in a generation: a "super Corvette." Chevrolet calls it the ZR1.
Its spec sheet would have been unheard of not too many years ago. The supercharged V-8 engine produces a jaw-dropping 638 horsepower.
Parts of the body are made of exotic, lightweight carbon fiber. And the brakes are huge carbon-ceramic discs that can pull the ZR1 down from speed in almost no time.
The price of Corvette perfection, you might ask? A base 2011 Corvette with 430 horsepower -- no slouch -- can be yours for $49,525.
Step up to the Corvette Z06 and its 505 horsepower, and the former top dog starts at a cool $75,525.
But the ZR1 slams right through the six-figure mark with a base price of $111,525. Add the federal gas-guzzler tax and some comfort options and you're north of $120,000.
The power of the new ZR1 super-charged V-8 is really staggering. But we could be at a zenith for Corvette power in the history of the car. Upcoming emission and fuel-economy standards may mean that Chevrolet has to go to a smaller engine for the car. In fact, rumors persist that the next-generation Corvette will get a twin-turbo V-6 engine.
But Vettes have always had eights, right? Well, no. The original model of 1953 had a six under its hood.
Of course, Chevrolet later added the V-8 and sales took off, along with the car's mystique. But things are different these days: smaller, more efficient engines are en vogue.
This could actually be the last of its breed. GM has shown its engineering might and has built a super-car with world-class power.
Future Corvettes will probably be just as exotic, or maybe more so. But from a horsepower standpoint, this might be it: One very expensive Chevrolet for the record books.
auto news, car tips, dave kunz
- NKorea says it deported detained US war vet 40 min ago
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material 46 min ago
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia 23 min ago
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides 2 min ago
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
19 min ago