General Motors releases most powerful Corvette yet
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An exotic new Corvette that has Ferrari-like power in an all-American package may go down in history as the most powerful production car General Motors ever built.
Fans of Chevy's two-seater Corvette will tell you that any example is special.
But here's one that only comes along once in a generation: a "super Corvette." Chevrolet calls it the ZR1.
Its spec sheet would have been unheard of not too many years ago. The supercharged V-8 engine produces a jaw-dropping 638 horsepower.
Parts of the body are made of exotic, lightweight carbon fiber. And the brakes are huge carbon-ceramic discs that can pull the ZR1 down from speed in almost no time.
The price of Corvette perfection, you might ask? A base 2011 Corvette with 430 horsepower -- no slouch -- can be yours for $49,525.
Step up to the Corvette Z06 and its 505 horsepower, and the former top dog starts at a cool $75,525.
But the ZR1 slams right through the six-figure mark with a base price of $111,525. Add the federal gas-guzzler tax and some comfort options and you're north of $120,000.
The power of the new ZR1 super-charged V-8 is really staggering. But we could be at a zenith for Corvette power in the history of the car. Upcoming emission and fuel-economy standards may mean that Chevrolet has to go to a smaller engine for the car. In fact, rumors persist that the next-generation Corvette will get a twin-turbo V-6 engine.
But Vettes have always had eights, right? Well, no. The original model of 1953 had a six under its hood.
Of course, Chevrolet later added the V-8 and sales took off, along with the car's mystique. But things are different these days: smaller, more efficient engines are en vogue.
This could actually be the last of its breed. GM has shown its engineering might and has built a super-car with world-class power.
Future Corvettes will probably be just as exotic, or maybe more so. But from a horsepower standpoint, this might be it: One very expensive Chevrolet for the record books.
auto news, car tips, dave kunz
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks 28 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role