Touring bikes for a fun road trip
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Autumn in California is a great time for a road trip. The weather isn't too cold and the scenery is great to take in.
If a journey in fall colors is fun with four wheels, it can be even more so on two.
Looking svelte and continental is Honda's NT700V. It's comfortable, not too expensive at around $10,000 and quite practical for taking along a weekend's worth of stuff in its built-in saddlebags.
The windshield even adjusts to keep you stay either cooler or warmer depending on how the weather is behaving.
For something more traditional and big check out Kawasaki's Vulcan Voyager. As its name suggests, it's ready for a voyage with comfy seats for both rider and passenger.
At nearly 900 pounds, it's not for the inexperienced, nor is it for the faint of wallet at $19,000. Along with anti-lock brakes, many luxuries are standard, like stereo and even cruise control.
Lookswise, chrome is everywhere. You won't even need to pack really light because there's tons of storage space.
Modern technology means they can engineer a big V twin to be really smooth, but a lot of people who buy these kind of bikes like a bit of shakiness when they ride. Kawasaki's engineers purposely added a little shaking to the Voyager engine on purpose.
Try and hurry this big Kawi and it's not too happy. The engine prefers a leisurely pace, just thumping along.
The smaller, lighter Honda on the other hand is ready for a more sporting time. Popular in Europe with everyone from couriers to police officers, the NT700V puts the sport in sport touring.
auto news, travel, car tips, dave kunz
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 54 min ago
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 51 min ago
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard 23 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 40 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'