Hyundai Veloster's look is based on motorcycle design
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Hyundai is continuing on a new product rollout with its latest offering: an eye-catching coupe called the Veloster.
Breaking away from the usual compact mold, the little Hyundai's design consists of lots of curves and shapes. The styling theme was supposedly inspired by sport motorcycles.
Flowing lines mimic the curve of handlebars, the windshield and its black pillars are supposed to remind us of a helmet face shield, the air vents represent exhaust pipes and the center of the dash itself evokes the shape of a motorcycle gas tank.
The center stack also is a standard seven-inch video display. This car is targeted at the wired, or perhaps wireless, generation.
There are lots of things to keep you informed and connected to your gadgets. You can even play videos on the screen from a portable device, when you're parked of course.
Also likely to appeal to young buyers is the price. Even with both major options packages - one called style and one called tech - the Veloster's price sticker barely tops $22,000.
A sporty two-door says youthful and fun, but practicality can be limited. So on the passenger side, Hyundai gave the Veloster a third door. It opens up nice and wide for access to the back seat.
That third door is just one of the things that is intended to make the Veloster stand out against competitors, such as the Honda CR-Z hybrid and the Scion tC.
One place this coupe won't exactly stand out is in acceleration. The 1.6-liter engine was spec'ed for fuel efficiency. The EPA highway rating is 40 mpg, but getting up to speed quickly can be a challenge.
On the other hand, this car is targeted squarely at young people. So if you think about it, maybe the fact that it isn't too powerful is a bonus, as far as parents might be concerned.
auto news, car tips, dave kunz
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 53 min ago
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 10 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants
- 'Returnaholics' punished by some retailers
41 min ago
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
34 min ago