A look at glamorous cars fit for Oscar stars
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two years ago, Mercedes-Benz made big news with the return of the famous gull-wing design for their top-of-the-line sports car, the SLS. Now, the Gullwing is joined by the SLS AMG Roadster. Both vehicles are steeped in automotive history and celebrity history too.
Movie stars chose them long before many people even really knew what a Mercedes-Benz was.
The modern version evokes the later years of Hollywood's glamour era, when the SL Gullwing and Roadster commanded the best parking spots on the movie lots.
"Over the years, you've seen them in movies and in Hollywood, and famous owners and all that. Now, we have the reincarnated version of that," said Mercedes-Benz spokesman Adam Paige.
But you'll need a movie star salary to buy one, and probably a little bit of "Don't you know who I am?" because production is very limited.
But all in all, it's kind of practical - at least as far as 563 horsepower super cars go.
Not only is the SLS fast, so is its power top. It goes up or down in about 11 seconds, and you can do it while the vehicle is moving as long as you're going under 30 mph.
Aston Martin's newest drop-top features open-air motoring, British style. The new DBS Volante is the convertible version of the car Daniel Craig drove in "Quantum of Solace."
The cool car has an attention grabbing crystal key that brings to life a mighty V12 with a wonderful sound.
Whether you're a secret agent or just a stylish sun worshipper, drop the top on this bit of British automotive royalty, and you're sure to get attention.
auto news, car tips, dave kunz
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 35 min ago
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84 16 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 33 min ago